WHAT'S AN ELECTRONIC PAPER DISPLAY?
Best of Both Worlds: Paper & Display
EPD offers the best of both worlds in a reflective display: the readability of paper and the ability to change contents like any electronic display. TOPPAN supplies EPD for Industrial applications.
EPD by TOPPAN
3 Key Benefits Open Doors to New Applications
Batteryless devices, thin & light form factor -- EPD's benefits are enabling novel Industrial applications, which were previously impossible using existing display technologies.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is an EPD, Electronic Paper Display?
We define EPD as a reflective display media that offers the best properties of Paper & Displays, or best of both worlds. Paper excels in legibility and its ability to display without electricity, while Displays have the ability to change its contents.
EPD feature 3 key benefits: Ultra-low power consumption, High legibility, and Thin & light form factor.
Well-known applications are eReaders and ESL, or Electronic Shelf Labels found in retail stores.
More information on the key benefits can be found here.
- Why is the power consumption "ultra-low"?
Once displayed, EPD can keep the image without power -- this feature is called "image stability".
Thus, no power is needed to keep an image, resulting in much lower power consumption compared to display technologies that constantly use power to display any image, such as a typical LCD (Liquid Crystal Display).
Mostly in Japanese
- Oct. 25TOPPAN Develops EPD Device for Work Instructions (JP)
- Sep. 14TOPPAN Develops Flexible Color EPD (JP)
- Mar. 10Reusable Retail EPD POP Powered by Indoor Lighting (JP)
- Mar. 08Flexible EPD Showing Black, White, and Red Colors, a First in Japan (JP)
- Feb. 01EPD Ear Accessory "VIEWS" -- Design Changes to Fit Your Mood (JP)
- Oct. 30Tablet-size Batteryless EPD Device -- Updates via Wireless LAN, a First in Japan (JP)
- Sep. 16Compact Batteryless EPD Device -- Updates Using Power from Reader/Writer (JP)
- Sep. 16RFID with Display "Near cross™ DU" -- Enables Total Product & Process Management for Production & Logistics (JP)
- Sep. 15Segmented EPD Modules -- Ideal for Displaying Smooth Icons with Area Color
- Mar. 12Joint Research for Disaster Preparedness Utilizing EPD Signage with IRIDeS, Tohoku Univ. (JP)
- Mar. 03Rail-type ESL (Electronic Shelf Label) Using Flexible EPD (JP)
- May 24TOPPAN Wins Merit Award in Interative Category of "One Show" for O2O Promotion "KNIT Like COLLECTION" (JP)
- Mar. 04TOPPAN & PLastic Logic Exhibit 42" Flexible EPD Signage, a World's First (JP)
- Feb. 20TOPPAN's O2O Promotion System "Like Counter" Featured at New Balance Booth of "Tokyo Marathon EXPO 2013" (JP)
- Feb. 05EPD Signage Updated via Broadcast Whitespace at Chayamachi Wins in SIGNAGE SOLUTIONS 2012 Networks/Delivery Category (JP)
- Nov. 15TOPPAN Launches O2O Promotion System "Like! Counter" with MUJI -- Displays Facebook "Like!" Volume in Realtime at Storefront, a First in Japan (JP)
- Oct. 31TOPPAN Develops Batteryless RFID with Dot Matrix EPD -- Updates Only Using Power from Reader/Writer (JP)
- Jun. 06TOPPAN & CITIZEN TIC Develop Multi-Color Capable EPD Signage, a World's First (JP)
- Feb. 29TOPPAN Develops Non-Contact IC Card with Secure Chip & Batteryless EPD (JP)
- Oct. 05TOPPAN & Suntory Foods Start Field Test of EPD Signage in Vending Machine, Featuring News & Local Government Announcements via "Machikomi" Information Service -- Contributes to Community Revitalization (JP)
- May 27TOPPAN Develops Multi-Language EPD Exhibit Panel System for Field Test at Japanese Archaeology Gallery of Heiseikan of Tokyo National Museum (JP)
- May 12TOPPAN & Chi Lin Launch EPD Business Targeting Industrial Market -- Aim to Develop New Smart Applications (JP)
- Apr. 13TOPPAN & Chi Lin Announce Collaboration for Industrial EPD Applications -- Aim to Cultivate Industrial EPD Market (JP)
- Dec. 28TOPPAN Brings Mr. Ryosuke Kuwada on Board to Develop New Business Opportunities (JP)
- Dec. 14~ Toward Thin & Flexible Next Generation Displays ~ Succeeds in Prototyping Printed Thin Film Transistors (TFT) at Low Temperature, using Transparent Amorphous Oxide Semiconductor (JP)
- Sep. 25EPD Signage Service "Machikomi" Gets More Local Attention ~ Additional Installation at Northern Terminal & Collaboration with Local Paper, Awareness at Sendai Station Records 59.5%! ~ (JP)
- Apr. 08EPD Signage Service "Machikomi" in Sendai Gets Enhancements (JP)
- Jan. 21TOPPAN Utilizes EPD Signage for Disaster Preparedness & Awareness (JP)
- Jan. 13TOPPAN Commercializes EPD Signage "Machikomi" for Advertisements, a World's First (JP)
- July 07EPD Signage "Machikomi" Starts Service at Sendai Subway Station, Targeting Increased Awareness ~ Environmentally Friendly EPD Shows Fresh Local Information & Advertisement ~ (JP)
- Nov. 28Joint Field Test of Large-Format EPD Signage Starts at Sendai Subway Station, a World's First (JP)
- Apr. 02TOPPAN Starts Sales of EPD POP as a Storefront Promotional Tool (JP)
- Mar. 31Succeeds in Driving E Ink EPD using Flexible Amorphous Oxide Semiconductor Thin Film Transistors (TFT) (JP)
- Oct. 20Co-develops 6" Color E Ink EPD Prototype (JP)
- Mar. 18Exhibits Large-format EPD Signage at EXPO 2005 (JP)
- Dec. 01Combines Solar Battery with Low-power EPD Advertisement Signage (JP)
- Nov. 19Develops EPD Advertisement Signage, First Installation at JR Iidbashi Station, East Exit (JP)
- Oct. 20Launches Large-format EPD Signage for Public & Transportation Sector (JP)
- Mar. 25Commercializes EPD, Starts Mass Production Supply for the First time in the World (JP)
Names of products and services featured are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies.
EPD solutions from TOPPAN are currently available for the Japan domestic market only.